Main Deliverables of this Project
Design and build a system that can produce bioplastic products from algae and microalgae.
Bioplastics are plastic-like products that are made from natural resources like agricultural produce and algae. Bioplastics are biodegradable and safe for the environment. Bioplastics are becoming increasingly popular in the packaging industry and are replacing chemically manufactured plastics with bioplastics.
Algae are a diverse group of aquatic organisms found all over the world. They are found in lakes, sea floors, and even in moist environments like pots at home, and on walls in rainy places. These organisms are photosynthetic - they use sunlight and water to grow and can form colonies in a short period of time. Algae are not only helpful to us, but are critical to our existence.
Algae and microalgae can be used to produce bioplastics that are environmentally safe, and in some cases, even edible. Bioplastics made from algae have a variety of applications and can be used as replacement for plastic used in food wraps, packaging, and even surf boards.
Why this is Important
Plastic production around the world is increasing, leading to a global plastic pollution. Plastics take decades and sometimes even centuries to degrade. The biggest impact and damage of plastics is to the environment we live in. The need for an innovative solution to reduce this pollution is inevitable.
Algae and microalgae can be used to produce eco-friendly bioplastics that can be used for a variety of applications.
What this project needs to move forward
A team of highly talented, skilled and motivated people who can hit the ground running. We need these skills to move this project forward:
- Botany Majors - Contributors with a passion for cultivating and harvesting algae and microalgae.
- Marine Biology Majors - Contributors with a sharp sense to study and preserve marine biology and eco-system.
- Architect/Structural Engineer - Contributors who are highly skilled in structural design. Ideally, this person must be able to plan and collaborate with the team to build algal channels to cultivate and grow algae.
Highlights of working on this project
- Collaborate with talented people from different domains and areas of study and expertise
- Build a strong team with people from diverse cultures and backgrounds
- Learn project management, project reporting, delivery cycles
- Work in a highly energized environment that focuses on high quality product development
- Discover, learn, innovate, and invent new ways for preserving and growing marine life
- Have fun in a super charged team of professionals students, collaborators, sponsors
- Remuneration - This is not a sponsored project. You will get credits, honorable mentions and a Certificate of Contribution from Ocean Builders.
- Learning - This project offers you opportunities to learn about this concept/topic/technology. You will get to collaborate and work with industry experts and professionals who will share their experiences and guide you along with their best practices.
- Culture - Work with people from different backgrounds, cultures, nationalities and get exposure to working on cross-functional and virtual teams.
- Get Your Hands Dirty - Roll up your sleeves and get practical on this project. Experience the joy of designing or building a machine/system/device that will be used by millions of people worldwide. If you are not co-located, video conference with your team and collaborate.
- Build and Grow your Professional Network - Collaborate on this project, make friends, and grow your professional network.
- Top Talent - Work with talented people and find new recruits for your business as you see this project take shape.
- Goodwill - Get positive goodwill for your brand as a sponsor who is building something innovating and contributing to the future.
- Personal and Business Use - Use this system and technology for your home/boat/ship/company/organization
Branding - Brand it with your organization identity.
- Monetize - Invest in his project and take it to market with your brand identity
- Get involved in the design phase and share your thoughts on how you would use this product or technology in your daily lives.
- Give feedback at regular intervals and development stages to help this team to design and build a user-friendly system or technology.
- Work with people from different countries, cultures, backgrounds and experiences. It's fun!
Get Recognition - Participate as an academician/student and contribute to research papers, college projects and participate in local, state, national, and international academic or technical conferences. Present papers on the innovations and advancements that have been made.
All of the above
Ocean Builders invites you to be a part of this project. You can be a sponsor, a contributor, a user, an academician AND you can be all of the above.