Main Deliverables of this Project
Design and build a 3D Printer that can print large scale and complex objects in a short span of time.
Most 3D printers are only big enough to print table top sized objects. Every object that is printed takes between 2 to 24 hours to print an object. The largest printer has printing volumes up to 2 x 5 x 1 meters (or 6.5 x 16.5 x 3 feet).
Figure 1 - Sample comparison of the size of a 3D printer.
These printers have print heads or extruders that can print one or 2 materials at a given time. These are expensive and often subject to wear and tear due to the limitation of printing resins or print material.
We want to create large scale, multi-gantry (or multi-level) printers that can build large structures in a short time. 3D print each part separately at the same time and assemble when ready.
Why is this Important
Conventional construction and manufacturing processes have been around for centuries. With rapid developments in 3D Printing technology, additive manufacturing is now gaining popularity to create objects. However, the current 3D printing technology is limited by the amount of time it takes to print a single object. In addition, the print materials used in current 3D printing is limited to a handful of tried and tested materials. Researchers are looking to use different materials to create complex objects and even structures to create multiple objects in a shorter period of time - saving cost, material and time compared to conventional construction and manufacturing processes.
What this Project needs to move forward
We need these skills to move this project forward:
- 3D Modeler - To create 3D models
- 3D Print Specialists - People who have had hands-on experience in 3D printing including assembling the printer for the initial print run, collaborate, advise and build extruders based on print material.
- Physics/Chemistry Majors - Work with the team to research on different materials and contribute to converting them to 3D structures.
- Architect/Structural Engineers - Work with the team to design and build different parts of the printer and and advise on architectural or structural design of the final printed 3D structure as per 3D design.
Highlights of working on this project
- Collaborate with talented people from different domains and areas of study and expertise
- Build a strong team with people from diverse cultures and backgrounds
- Learn project management, project reporting, delivery cycles
- Work in a highly energized environment that focuses on high quality product development
- Discover, learn, innovate, and invent new ways for preserving and growing marine life
- Have fun in a super charged team of professionals students, collaborators, sponsors
- Remuneration - This is not a sponsored project. You will get credits, honorable mentions and a Certificate of Contribution from Ocean Builders.
- Learning - This project offers you opportunities to learn about this concept/topic/technology. You will get to collaborate and work with industry experts and professionals who will share their experiences and guide you along with their best practices.
- Culture - Work with people from different backgrounds, cultures, nationalities and get exposure to working on cross-functional and virtual teams.
- Get Your Hands Dirty - Roll up your sleeves and get practical on this project. Experience the joy of designing or building a machine/system/device that will be used by millions of people worldwide. If you are not co-located, video conference with your team and collaborate.
- Build and Grow your Professional Network - Collaborate on this project, make friends, and grow your professional network.
- Top Talent - Work with talented people and find new recruits for your business as you see this project take shape.
- Goodwill - Get positive goodwill for your brand as a sponsor who is building something innovating and contributing to the future.
- Personal and Business Use - Use this system and technology for your home/boat/ship/company/organization
Branding - Brand it with your organization identity.
- Monetize - Invest in his project and take it to market with your brand identity
- Get involved in the design phase and share your thoughts on how you would use this product or technology in your daily lives.
- Give feedback at regular intervals and development stages to help this team to design and build a user-friendly system or technology.
- Work with people from different countries, cultures, backgrounds and experiences. It's fun!
Get Recognition - Participate as an academician/student and contribute to research papers, college projects and participate in local, state, national, and international academic or technical conferences. Present papers on the innovations and advancements that have been made.