[Sea Water Desalination using Graphene] Graphene
Graphene, often referred to as wonder material, is a 1-atom thick carbon membrane that is the basic building block for graphite. It is heavily researched and used in various applications including batteries, solar cells, super capacitors, DNA sequencing, display and touch screens, and water filtration among others. Graphene is about 100 times stronger than steel and is excellent conductor of heat and electricity. Graphene also has interesting light absorption abilities - making it a key component in solar cells.
This wonder material has unlimited potential when integrated with other elements and can play an important role in almost any industry.
Graphene and graphene oxide is useful in sea water desalination and grey water treatment.
Why this is important
Water covers 70% of our planet. However, only about 3% is fresh water - that we use to drink, irrigate and clean. Of this 3%, some of this is locked away in frozen glaciers, unavailable for our use - effectively reducing potable and drinking water to less than 2%.
About 1 billion people around the world lack access to potable water. About 2.5 billion people are faced with water scarcity 3 months in a year. Not having potable water is a problem for about 2.5 billion people because of inadequate sanitation provision — exposing them to deadly diseases like as cholera, typhoid, and other water-borne illnesses. Two million people, mostly children, die each year from diarrheal diseases alone.
1 in 9 people have no access to safe drinking water. 1 in 3 have no access to a toilet.
By 2025, two-thirds of the world’s population will face severe water shortages.
This project will drive the need to solve the problem of desalinating sea water and making it usable for drinking, irrigation, sanitation and other needs.
What this Project needs to move forward
We need these skills to move this project forward:
- Hands on Builder - someone that can build this project, do side by side comparisons on a converted and standard batteries, take measurements, run load tests, and record results.
- Chemistry Majors - To study and recommend graphene and graphene oxide usages
- Architects/Structural Engineers - To design and build a complete system that can pump sea water into the system, chambers for graphene filtration and save clean water to a storage tank.
Highlights of working on this project
- Collaborate with talented people from different domains and areas of study and expertise
- Build a strong team with people from diverse cultures and backgrounds
- Learn project management, project reporting, delivery cycles
- Work in a highly energized environment that focuses on high quality product development
- Discover, learn, innovate, and invent new ways for preserving and growing marine life
- Have fun in a super charged team of professionals students, collaborators, sponsors
- Remuneration - This is a sponsored project. You will get paid for your contributions. Find out more from your project manager/project coordinator. [OR]
- Remuneration - This is not a sponsored project. You will get credits, honorable mentions and a Certificate of Contribution from Ocean Builders.
- Learning - This project offers you opportunities to learn about this concept/topic/technology. You will get to collaborate and work with industry experts and professionals who will share their experiences and guide you along with their best practices.
- Culture - Work with people from different backgrounds, cultures, nationalities and get exposure to working on cross-functional and virtual teams.
- Get Your Hands Dirty - Roll up your sleeves and get practical on this project. Experience the joy of designing or building a machine/system/device that will be used by millions of people worldwide. If you are not co-located, video conference with your team and collaborate.
- Build and Grow your Professional Network - Collaborate on this project, make friends, and grow your professional network.
- Top Talent - Work with talented people and find new recruits for your business as you see this project take shape.
- Goodwill - Get positive goodwill for your brand as a sponsor who is building something innovating and contributing to the future.
- Personal and Business Use - Use this system and technology for your home/boat/ship/company/organization
Branding - Brand it with your organization identity.
- Monetize - Invest in his project and take it to market with your brand identity.
- Get involved in the design phase and share your thoughts on how you would use this product or technology in your daily lives.
- Give feedback at regular intervals and development stages to help this team to design and build a user-friendly system or technology.
- Work with people from different countries, cultures, backgrounds and experiences. It's fun!
Get Recognition - Participate as an academician/student and contribute to research papers, college projects and participate in local, state, national, and international academic or technical conferences. Present papers on the innovations and advancements that have been made.
All of the above
Ocean Builders invites you to be a part of this project. You can be a sponsor, a contributor, a user, an academician AND you can be all of the above.