Main Deliverables of this Project
Design and build a Rim-driven thruster that can be installed on boats, yachts, ships and SeaPods.
Conventional thrusters and propellers are designed with propeller blades connected to the central shaft. It is has been in use for hundreds of centuries and is being continuously improved. It is the commonly used thruster in today's marine transport.
New research and modern engineering techniques show that thrusters, can also be designed without a shaft that holds the propeller blades together. It is widely gaining popularity as the next big step for boats, ships and Seapods.
Why this is important
While conventional shaft-driven thrusters have been in use for centuries, they are expensive to maintain. Because of their design, shaft-driven thrusters are subject to surface damage, wear and tear of internal parts. The most common cause for damage are when seaweed get entangled in the propeller blades and and the propeller cannot turn.
The Rim driven thrusters are more efficient in performance and less prone to surface damage. The internal parts are safely shielded by water-proof casings and can last longer. Because of the absence of the rotor shaft, seaweeds are simply cut by the blades and they pass through the gap in the propeller blades without getting entangled.
What this project needs to move forward
A team of highly talented, skilled and motivated people who can hit the ground running. We need these skills to move this project forward:
- Electrical/Electronics Engineers - Design the motor, armature, and slip of the thruster/motor.
- Architect/Structural Engineer - Contributors who are highly skilled in structural design. Ideally, this person must be able to plan and collaborate with the team.
Highlights of working on this project
- Collaborate with talented people from different domains and areas of study and expertise
- Build a strong team with people from diverse cultures and backgrounds
- Learn project management, project reporting, delivery cycles
- Work in a highly energized environment that focuses on high quality product development
- Discover, learn, innovate, and invent new ways for preserving and growing marine life
- Have fun in a super charged team of professionals students, collaborators, sponsors
- Remuneration - This is a sponsored project. You will get paid for your contributions. Find out more from your project manager/project coordinator. [OR]
- Remuneration - This is not a sponsored project. You will get credits, honorable mentions and a Certificate of Contribution from Ocean Builders.
- Learning - This project offers you opportunities to learn about this concept/topic/technology. You will get to collaborate and work with industry experts and professionals who will share their experiences and guide you along with their best practices.
- Culture - Work with people from different backgrounds, cultures, nationalities and get exposure to working on cross-functional and virtual teams.
- Get Your Hands Dirty - Roll up your sleeves and get practical on this project. Experience the joy of designing or building a machine/system/device that will be used by millions of people worldwide. If you are not co-located, video conference with your team and collaborate.
- Build and Grow your Professional Network - Collaborate on this project, make friends, and grow your professional network.
- Top Talent - Work with talented people and find new recruits for your business as you see this project take shape.
- Goodwill - Get positive goodwill for your brand as a sponsor who is building something innovating and contributing to the future.
- Personal and Business Use - Use this system and technology for your home/boat/ship/company/organization
Branding - Brand it with your organization identity.
- Monetize - Invest in his project and take it to market with your brand identity
- Get involved in the design phase and share your thoughts on how you would use this product or technology in your daily lives.
- Give feedback at regular intervals and development stages to help this team to design and build a user-friendly system or technology.
- Work with people from different countries, cultures, backgrounds and experiences. It's fun!
Get Recognition - Participate as an academician/student and contribute to research papers, college projects and participate in local, state, national, and international academic or technical conferences. Present papers on the innovations and advancements that have been made.
All of the above
Ocean Builders invites you to be a part of this project. You can be a sponsor, a contributor, a user, an academician AND you can be all of the above.