Preliminary Research and Documentation
We would like to have a system for opening and closing drawers and cabinets that goes a step beyond the light touch product made by Blum. We would like to be able to completely open and close selected drawers, cabinets, and/or storage closets with a light touch or even using the IoT system. In addition, we should be able to magnetically or mechanically lock a drawerm cabinet or closet so that it does not swing open if the house is in rough weather and things are moving around. We need to find suppliers that make parts that can be used for this system. The drawers need to be able to open with a light touch to activate the motor or be opened manually. The motor should not interfere with a user manually pulling or closing the drawer.
Drawer or Cabinet Lock
Slide in electronic lock
Original Project Overview
- Video: https://www.dropbox.com/s/s308iene78y57pl/automated%20drawers.m4a?dl=0
- Some additional information (here)
Sample Parts or Potential Resources
- Linear Actuators: https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Bearing-Drawer-Slide-Block-Sliding-Gate_1600066945770.html?spm=a2700.galleryofferlist.normal_offer.d_image.4db94e45vMcIfB
- Linear Actuators: https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/12V-Linear-Motor-Metal-Gear-Electric_1600195778610.html?spm=a2700.galleryofferlist.normal_offer.d_title.1bed3b8dP3qyyD&s=p&fullFirstScreen=true
- Linear Actuators: https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Linear-Actuators-Manufacturer-Supplier-Supply-24v_1600201142127.html?spm=a2700.galleryofferlist.normal_offer.d_title.1bed3b8dP3qyyD&s=p
Can this be used or might this company have something that can be used for this project: https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/linear-guide-rail-block-linear-actuators_60091154724.html?spm=a2700.galleryofferlist.normal_offer.d_image.4db94e45vMcIfB
Motorized Lift Cabinet here
Winner(s) for each level will be judged by Ocean Builders and the Sponsor.
- Level 1: Submit a detailed outline of your proposal. The proposal should detail a realistic plan for the simplest, easiest, and lowest cost method of completing as much of this project as possible and a proposed timeline and cost estimates for various parts of the system. The prize for this level is set to $100 which will be paid by our sponsor in cryptocurrency to each team entry or to single-member applicants. Level 1 winners may be supplied parts to build Level 2. A maximum of 3 winners will be awarded at this level.
- Level 2: Build a drawer that mimics the light touch characteristics of the blum system but which can be opened and closed completely electronically. The motor should be calculated to be strong enough to open and close normal drawers. The prize for this level is set to $300 which will be paid by our sponsor in cryptocurrency to each team entry or single-member applicants for the two best entries. Level 2 winner(s) may be supplied with parts to build Level 3. A maximum of 2 winners will be awarded at this level.
- Level 3: Build an electronic locking system that allows you to lock a drawer from opening accidentally and electronically unlock it when you want to open it. Ideally this system will not disengage when there is a power failure but at the same time the drawers should not be so hard to open that you cannot open them in a power failure situation. The prize for this level is set to $300 which will be paid by our sponsor in cryptocurrency to each team entry or single-member applicants for the two best entries. A maximum of 2 winners will be awarded at this level.
Project Management Page
This project is being developed as an open-source project with the following licensing:
- Software: GPL-3.0 - https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-3.0.en.html
- Hardware, Design & other Intellectual Property: CC-BY-SA-4.0 - https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/