Main Deliverables of this Project
Design and build a system that can scan the surface of the ocean floor and provide valuable bathymetry data.
Seafloor mapping or ocean cartography is the study of the surface of the ground inside the sea or ocean. Bathymetry is the measurement of the depth of water in oceans and seas and other waterbodies. Despite advancement in technology, it is often said that the the surface of the ocean bed is less explored than the surface of the Moon and Mars.
Why this is important
This objective of project is to build a scanner that can scan the surface of the ocean bed and create a topographic map of the ocean floor. We want to create a system that can accurately map the sea bed and create real time 3D maps to study the ocean floor, water currents, salinity, and coral and marine geography and biology. This data and ocean floor mapping can be used by:
- Marine biologists - to research and conserve marine life.
- Sailors - for navigation.
- Scientists and researchers - to study currents, tides and effects of temperature, salinity, pH value of the water at different levels of the ocean.
What this project needs to move forward
A team of highly talented, skilled and motivated people who can hit the ground running. We need these skills to move this project forward:
- 3D Modeler - A 3D modelling expert who can create intricate 3D models of corals based on images. We are looking for people with a passion in 2D and 3D design. You should have proficiency in one or more tools given below in each segment
- 3D Software - Experience in 3DS Max, Maya, Blender, Sketch, other
- Graphics software - Adobe Illustrator, Inkscape, Corel Draw, other
- Image Editing - Adobe Photoshop, GIMP, other
- Marine Biology Majors - Contributors with a shark sense to study and preserve marine biology and eco-system. This is an exciting opportunity to get to know how coral reefs are the rainforests of the sea.
- Electronics Majors - Design and build different types of sensors.
- Architect/Structural Engineer - Contributors who are highly skilled in structural design. Ideally, this person must be able to plan and collaborate with the team to build Aquascan.
- Drone Engineers - Engineers who can operate a drone and collaborate with the team on bringing all the components together for the drone to support the payload.
Highlights of working on this project
- Collaborate with talented people from different domains and areas of study and expertise
- Build a strong team with people from diverse cultures and backgrounds
- Learn project management, project reporting, delivery cycles
- Work in a highly energized environment that focuses on high quality product development
- Discover, learn, innovate, and invent new ways for preserving and growing marine life
- Have fun in a super charged team of professionals students, collaborators, sponsors
- Remuneration - This is a sponsored project. You will get paid for your contributions. Find out more from your project manager/project coordinator. [OR]
- Remuneration - This is not a sponsored project. You will get credits, honorable mentions and a Certificate of Contribution from Ocean Builders.
- Learning - This project offers you opportunities to learn about this concept/topic/technology. You will get to collaborate and work with industry experts and professionals who will share their experiences and guide you along with their best practices.
- Culture - Work with people from different backgrounds, cultures, nationalities and get exposure to working on cross-functional and virtual teams.
- Get Your Hands Dirty - Roll up your sleeves and get practical on this project. Experience the joy of designing or building a machine/system/device that will be used by millions of people worldwide. If you are not co-located, video conference with your team and collaborate.
- Build and Grow your Professional Network - Collaborate on this project, make friends, and grow your professional network.
- Top Talent - Work with talented people and find new recruits for your business as you see this project take shape.
- Goodwill - Get positive goodwill for your brand as a sponsor who is building something innovating and contributing to the future.
- Personal and Business Use - Use this system and technology for your home/boat/ship/company/organization
Branding - Brand it with your organization identity.
- Monetize - Invest in his project and take it to market with your brand identity
- Get involved in the design phase and share your thoughts on how you would use this product or technology in your daily lives.
- Give feedback at regular intervals and development stages to help this team to design and build a user-friendly system or technology.
- Work with people from different countries, cultures, backgrounds and experiences. It's fun!
Get Recognition - Participate as an academician/student and contribute to research papers, college projects and participate in local, state, national, and international academic or technical conferences. Present papers on the innovations and advancements that have been made.
All of the above
Ocean Builders invites you to be a part of this project. You can be a sponsor, a contributor, a user, an academician AND you can be all of the above.